Thursday, February 14, 2008

This World Is Not My Home (I'm Just A Passing Through :-)

Friends,

Okay. I truly understand the meaning of this song (in a much more poignant way :-) after the past several months. I also have a much greater appreciation for Abraham (as many of you have heard) who did not know how, what, where, when, or why (in relationship to his station in life) but only that he would trust the Lord. As most of you well know, we are waiting for our house to sell in WA. Now, this has all become -- Ringing Bros. has nothing on this mess -- a circus. We can laugh about it because we know that it is all in the hands of the Lord and that His timing is perfect, however...it does make me stop and occasionally reflect on our dynamic heavenly home and that the dynamics of "moving here and there...or from there to here" -- however it works -- is pretty small potatoes compared to how spectacular our final destination will be. I am so thankful to have a trust in and a relationship with the Lord. I could not even begin to understand what the trials of life and the goings about from here to there would be if not for a relationship with Him. We sing the song "Lord, Take Control" and I think it is such a good, pleasant and right thought. We like to think that we are in control, and sometimes we may need to or just may receive some reminders that this is simply not the case. We should truly want to (and need to) sing this song in our hearts on a daily basis. Someone asked the question one time -- "what is God's will?" This is a very broad and open-ended question, but a good and simplistic answer (without being trite) that I heard one time was "whatever is the closest thing to you that you can do in the name of the Lord." I encourage us all to consider just going out and "doing good" in the name of the Lord whether we are at home, at work, at school or anywhere else that we find ourselves...and we will indeed be having an impact for the kingdom of God and truly be storing up treasure in our heavenly home (which really is home).

Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, we say "Lord, take control," but really mean, "Lord, use your almighty power to force my will in this situation to prevail." Oh, Lord, crush this humanity within me! Don, you're a true example for the rest of us. I know we'll enoy that eternal home . . . together. Peace, brother. WRH