Thursday, April 19, 2007

Greatness

Friends,

I have known a number of people in my life whom I would consider -- great. I am not talking about Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Edison, Ronald Reagan, or Ghandi. I am just talking about ordinary folks like you and me. What is it that makes them "great"? It is an unwillingness to be forced into a mold. It is an inability to accept "the status quo" or to be a "yes man". It is having the courage to lead when everyone else is wanting to or willing to follow. It is having amazing perseverance. It is to be that "voice crying out in the wilderness". It is a person who is willing to say, believe and practice the right things, even though he or she may be persecuted by the masses for doing such. For those of you who think I may be describing Jesus -- in a sense, I am. For the purpose of this writing, I am not intentionally seeking to describe Him personally -- in fact, one of the above references is in relationship to Jesus' cousin, John the Baptist, another great individual. I am seeking to describe individuals who, in their imperfection, are willing to and able to operate in the spirit of Jesus Christ, because He was, indeed, all of the things mentioned above and so much more! When we read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John), we see that He was willing to and able to lay down His life in order that we might live -- eternally. This was the greatest act ever fulfilled by any man. The more that we truly become like our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the more that we can genuinely understand what greatness is all about in the fullest sense of the word.

Don

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I am really glad you started bloging. I am really enjoying getting to read it and can't wait to continue!

Love ya!
Emmy

Anonymous said...

Very good post! I, too, have known a few individuals (unfortunately only a few) like you have described. I appreciate their willingness to take a risk for a cause that is greater than themselves and for which there is no guarantee of success. How far behind we would be without them. Thanks for sharing. David