Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Unflappable

Friends,

We just had the opportunity to spend two weeks with my folks and it was great. We had to take them back to DFW today; it was hard to see them go, but we look forward to meeting again in the near future, Lord willing. While they were here, we were able to enjoy a number of activities. We had a nice dinner with the Beers' Saturday evening. Also, we traveled down to Giddings to see some family friends about a week ago. Along the way, near Flat (a funny name for a place that is hilly, by the way) we saw an Embarq work truck alongside the road. He was a few hundred yards ahead of us when -- all of the sudden -- he pulled out in front of us and into oncoming traffic. Going 60-70, I didn't have alot of reaction time, but I honked the horn and swerved around him to the left, borrowing the other lane momentarily. Thankfully nothing else was coming; it was a relatively close call. As Mom, Kim and I were gathering ourselves, I asked dad how he was doing. In "dad fashion", he said, "well, for a second there I thought I was going to get to try out your passenger air bag." Ha ha! Dad always seems to have a pithy or funny statement for most things, which is disarming in a situation like we faced; instead of being stressed out, we were able to laugh. This unflappable quality is one of the things that makes him so endearing. I appreciate my dad and mom both for their love and helping me to understand what life really is all about. As I get older, I really try to better follow my dad's example of "don't sweat the small stuff -- and most of it is small stuff." A good lesson for anyone to learn.

Don

2 comments:

Janessa said...

Hi Don,
I haven't seen you for sooooooo long!
I miss you guys so much and I hope you will be down or up soon!!!!
Well I hope to see soon.
Love in Christ,
Janessa Hoffard

Anonymous said...

Are you sure that you didn't have more than just dinner with the beers? What about dinner with the Vodkas? or the Wines? (I'm just kidding!!!) This was a nice post. I felt like I was right there in the car with you and yes, it does make you reflect on your blessings when you have a close call like that. And, unflappable is good. Keep it up. Alfonso