Tuesday, June 19, 2007

End of an Era

Friends,

Space...the final frontier... Oops, wrong show. As a young person interested in astronomy, I was naturally drawn to sci-fi. I grew up watching all of the original star-treks over and over as well as all of the newer incarnations (TNG, DS9, Voyager). Those were great shows, but none of them hold a candle to the greatest of all sci-fi shows ending its original ten year run this week; this would be Stargate SG-1. There is a legion of fans who have followed this creative show with its wonderful actors. It has been fun to follow all of the characters throughout the series, but none were greater than Col/Gen. Jack O'Neill played by Richard Dean Anderson (of McGyver fame). Unfortunately, he left the series after the eighth season; although it has not been the same, it has continued reasonably well with new characters the past two seasons. This show will air indefinitely on the sci-fi channel, so for those of you who have not had an opportunity to see it (and if you enjoy science fiction), it will be around. Stargate Atlantis continues and a new series, Stargate Universe, will begin next season -- so the show lives on in its own incarnations. So, I tip my hat to a show that has held my fascination for many years now and look forward to new versions. Take care,

Don

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stargate SG-1 never was the same without Richard Dean Anderson. . . I'll be looking forward to watching the new Stargate shows with ya though!!! As long as they're not hokey spinoffs like "Stargate: Atlantis" was. . . ;P My apologies to those of you who liked "Atlantis". :)
-Ally

Anonymous said...

Though Richard Dean Anderson brought his own uniqueness to the show, I like the newer incarnation just as much. I have seen almost every episode and I look forward to the new movie to DVD they are promising.

Atlantis is great also, and Amanda Tapping will be going to that series in a recurring role.

But the writing in both shows can get a little drawn out at times. There have been spotty episodes. Like the last episode "Unending" which I enjoyed, but which is no way to end the series. And what a waste of technology!

What about Eureka, and Battlestar?

Broken Chains 4 All said...

I am actually amazed that the show made it ten years -- with only so many ideas, etc. to draw from. Although I am pleased that it did so! It seems that all series "run down" somewhat toward the end, and perhaps SG-1 has not been an exception to this to some degree. Nevertheless, it has been such a great show! I am pleased that Carter will be moving over to Atlantis -- she will be just as good for that series. I will miss Teal'C and Daniel Jackson, as well as the others. (I thought another of the biggest losses was General Hammond). Perhaps, they will all, likewise, resurface somewhere. One other character whom I would love to see again, in some capacity, is Harry Mayborn -- a wonderful foil! I, too, am looking forward to the two DVD movies coming soon. God bless.