Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Good Teacher

Freinds, (Oops, a frIEnd of mine pointed out that I misspelled fiends, :-) uh, friends),

Someone offered a platitude one time that I was too young in the faith to understand, but as I have grown older and have experienced some hardship, I have to have a better appreciation and understanding of it. It is "pain is a good teacher." Unfortunately, this could be -- and frequently is -- in reference to physical pain, but is more often related to mental and emotional pain. I could honestly say that if I knew then what I know now concerning the past year and a half, in many respects, I would say -- "God, I want a do over," as I never would have made the decision to come to where we are today. Yet, we have learned and grown immensely from our difficult experiences...and for this we have come to understand and respect the spiritual battlefield for souls and have a greater respect for such wondrous virtues as faith, providence, grace, mercy and forgiveness. Someone else said one time, "some of the nicest people and some of the meanest people that you will ever come to know are in the church." This is a grand and a tragic statement all at the same time. I have come to appreciate the former in a much greater way; I am so very thankful for our friends that the Lord has brought our way. Some of the best Christian people we have ever known in our lives and ministry experience are right here in this town at Outreach church of Christ. We are so grateful for many of the wonderful experiences that we have shared with them. Even tonight, we just returned from the Brummett Christmas party...and what a tremendous experience it was for everyone -- what a blessing. Those homes could not be in better hands than with Robert & Tammy, Tom & Jackie, Ken & Dee...and all of their children are beautiful. Lord continue to bless them as they work together for You and to further the kingdom of God.

Don