Friday, March 28, 2008

A Big Loss (x2)

Friends,

Sadly, famous sci-fi writer Arthur C. Clarke passed away this past week. He was ninety years old. Mr. Clarke was responsible for many wonderful science-fiction works including 2001: A Space Odyssey, (written in 1969 and which was also made into a classic movie by Stanley Kubrick), and my personal favorites, Rendezvous with Rama and Childhood's End. He, along with Ray Bradbury, were the primary pioneers for the sci-fi genre.

In addition, a giant star billions of light-years away exploded recently and was captured by astronomers. It was so huge that it could actually be seen with "the naked eye." (I have never really cared for this expression, but it's good astronomy jargon :-). When you consider (once again) that the light year is approximately 6 trillion miles (see 4/27/07 post on light years for more info), well...you get the picture -- it is a practically incalculable distance for normal folks like you and me. This star, technically, blew apart millions of years ago (supposedly), even before earth was formed (perhaps...although, I don't buy into scientific timelines as "semi-precisely calculated," but still would suggest that these things have taken place thousands of years ago, perhaps, but not necessarily millions or billions). Speaking of explosions, a new calculation by a contemporary astronomer says that 7.59 billion years from now, the Earth will be pulled from its orbit by an enlarged red sun (our sun will ultimately become a red giant), and meet its doom. Whew...glad I am not going to be around! Once again, the calculation (???)...but, the reality is that it could happen this way. Now for a mix of astronomy, physics and theology -- I do believe that just as God could "pierce the firmament," in my opinion, and unleash that water in relationship to its participatory aspect of "the flood," so He could also use "a red giant" or "supernova" in order to incinerate the earth and its elements according to the description in 2 Peter 3. I am not saying that this IS going to happen or that this is the way that God will bring an end to "earth as we know it," but it is certainly understandable and plausible. As to what "a new heavens and new earth" will be or be like...I'm still studying this one, so I will get back to you on it. I have heard a lot of different theories, but I have ideas of my own which are tumbling around, so, we'll see...

Don

No comments: