Monday, April 28, 2008

Sci Fi No Go

Friends,

I did my "annual review" of good sci-fi programs to see what is playing where and it has brought me to this mild rant. :-) As far as it relates to good sci-fi programming, we are currently in "a black hole." All of the Star Trek's have long ago run their course and cannot even be found in rerun....except Enterprise which rates a "C" -- thankfully I have many of the episodes of the old series' recorded. Although it apparently is popular, I have never been able to get excited about the new Battlestar Galactica...although, the original one was great (and that certainly dates me a bit :-). Sci-Fi would do well to run some old classics like Space 1999, (which sounds funny now) and the original Galactica series. Fortunately, Stargate's SG-1 and Atlantis can still be found on Sci-Fi, although SG-1 is now done and Atlantis is boring. There is supposed to be a new Stargate series, although I have not heard anything else about it since last year. If anyone out there knows something, let me know(?) As for all the rest of the Snake head, Swamp thing and other pathetic offerings on Sci-Fi, 'nuff said. Here's hoping for some better fare in the near future.

Don

3 comments:

Don Morrison said...

Okay Don, I have to agree with most of your rant, but not the part about Galactica which is pretty awesome. The story line has been so good and the way the stories are put together really keeps you waiting for the next episode. My only comlaints are the euphamistic language and casual use of sexuality as a manipulative tool. Someone could say that those are realistic portrayals, and they would probably be right, but just because base behavior is real does not mean I have to like it or what it does to us.

Atlantis is okay, but they have taken all the zeal out of Samantha Carter. And you're right that the stories are sometimes flat.

What about Eureka - it is entertaining. Smallville can be good, although it seems to be written to appeal to the mid 20's set. Heroes has been exciting and always keeps you guessing.

Don Morrison

Broken Chains 4 All said...

(Rant, pt 2 :-) I have watched Eureka, but it does not thrill me like "the true space genre." I completely agree that Carter no longer has the dynamic personality that she once did on SG-1. They have ruined her on Atlantis...and it is frustrating. Although I grew up, to a certain extent, with Superman, Batman, the Flash, etc. it is hard to get excited about the modern incarnations (Smallville, Heroes)...but that's just me. Here's hoping for a brighter future. ;-)

Anonymous said...

http://www.tv.com/science-fiction/genre/10/topshows.html?era=&g=10&tag=genre_tabs;highest_rated

Its not all bad...but on the whole, its pretty sad.

I agree with Mr. Morrison. Battlestar Galactica is one of the best shows on TV right now. The critical and mainstream consensus agrees. :-)

You really gotta see Firefly if you can find it on DVD. Its one of the best shows ever.

Personally, I really enjoy The 4400.