Monday, July 28, 2008

I Have Seen It All Now

Friends,

I thought I caught a glimpse of it the other day when watching the sports channel, but I did not see enough of it to know whether it was real or a joke. Then, yesterday...in black and white (and read all over)...in the FW Star-Telegram...on the sports page -- there it was! What, you ask? A description of the new sport that's all the rage -- chess boxing. I'm kidding, right? I wish that I was. I cannot believe that some bozos have turned the wonderfully, artistic game of chess into something that only Rambo could appreciate. Chess boxing? How could anyone come up with this combination? Chess boxing? I believe that this may be the only way for the once semi-entertaining (Muhammed Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard) and now obsolete sport of boxing to keep an audience. I can hear the conversation now between two bruisers as they sit down and match pawn to queen 4 and 5. "I would like to think about my next move, but you hit me so hard in that first round, that my medulla oblongata is no longer functioning correctly." This is assuming that boxers would even know what a "medulla oblongata" is. If they did, they probably wouldn't be trying to beat each other's in. In fact, I am slightly stunned that boxers are even able to play chess. I know that I am stretching for laughs with the sarcasm, but it just strikes me (no pun intended) funny. Kids, don't try this at home. Blessings,

Don

(An "extra" because several has asked me -- how do they do this? They actually box "regular " boxing rounds and then "play chess" between rounds. Someone suggested that you have 32 boxers actually playing a form of "live chess," where you could have one "bishop" duke it out with an opposing "rook." Now, this would be cool to watch. Perhaps, someone needs to start this and call it "boxing chess" ;-).

2 comments:

ddWheels4God said...

What's next, a tap out in wrestling becoming a dance move?
Wheels

Broken Chains 4 All said...

It will probably be a "tap out" to do some "synchronized swimming" or "gymnastics". Perhaps, this will be the next Olympic sport...the one that replaces baseball/softball. Don't we already have the X-games? Isn't this enough?