Saturday, February 27, 2010

Winter Jam Reflections

Friends,

The kids and I went with a group to the Winter Jam 2010 Christian Music Festival at the American Airlines Center in Dallas last night. We really enjoyed our time at the four hour concert. We arrived about five minutes after 7 PM, the supposed starting time, but missed Sidewalk Prophets and their #1 song, "The Words I Would Say," to my dismay...as they started about 6:40 or so. My only other critique of the show was that speaker Tony Nolan spoke too much and for too long. He had some good things to say, but I think we all wanted more music and less talk.

We were able to thoroughly enjoy NewSong, the Newsboys with Michael Tait, Third Day, Tenth Avenue North, and Fireflight. NewSong has been a favorite of mine for a couple of decades now. Their all time greatest hit, "Arise, My Love" still stole the show for me. Even though they are not as well known as some of the other groups, I really enjoyed Tenth Avenue North. They shared their three hit songs in a way that was meaningful...offering the words on the big screen, and playing at a decibel level that we could all sing along with, reasonably. Michael Tait belting out Jesus Freak was also memorable. I have to say that I was skeptical about how I would feel about him as the lead singer of the Newsboys, since I have been a big Peter Furler fan...but, Tait did an admirable job.

We look forward to the next (2011) version of Winter Jam. Hopefully, they will invite Sanctus Real and Kutless to be a part of their show. I saw these two groups when they first started out several years ago...and they were much louder and less refined. Now, they are more polished and have put together some really good songs in the past couple of years. I still need to see Phillips, Craig and Dean. Maybe I'll get the opportunity to do this sometime. I'm still bummed that Annie Herring has retired a few years ago (having seen her a couple of times)...as she has always been one of my faves. I still love to listen to Scott Krippayne, River, Al Denson, Avalon, Jeremy Camp, Chris Tomlin, Michael W. Smith, Harvest, First Call, Watermark and so many more. I am thankful for the Lord blessing these people with the gifts that they have been given...and blessing my life. Blessings,

Don

No comments: