Thursday, November 11, 2010

Sacred Sacrifices

Friends,

As is inscribed on a Korean War memorial in Washington D.C., "Freedom is not free." Someone has to pay the price for our liberty. The Veteran's Day holiday, as well as Memorial Day, causes me to just stop and ponder things...and I am thankful for this. It has been good to see all of the wonderful messages on facebook today...what a blessing! I don't think that I could appreciate or understand the concept of sacrifice when I was younger the same as I have come to appreciate it now that I am older. I believe that this simply has to do with experience and maturity. I am grateful that my dad served in the army. He was never in a combat situation, but I have heard him talk about his experiences and it further caused me to be appreciative. Many other people have given their lives in service for our country. I am grateful during this Thanksgiving month for all of the men and women, younger and older, who have served and who are still serving in order to keep our country free from tyranny. It seems that the tyranny is much less definable than in the past, and therefore, I believe it is more dangerous. We need vigilant intelligence and military people to continue to help us in the ways that they do.

At the same time, this day also makes me think about my Savior's sacrifice. I am ever grateful for my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ's sacrifice for the sins of the whole world and for me, in order that I may live forever. As I get older, I believe I better come to understand the concept of sacrifice as it relates to Jesus, as well, and I am also grateful for this. It just makes me consider, once again, that Jesus' sacrifice is sufficient for all mankind, but efficient only for those who choose to accept it and become His followers. If you are reading this and you do not know Jesus Christ as your Savior, please respond, as I would be happy to communicate with you. Have a blessed day!

Don

No comments: