Friday, November 30, 2007

Can't Beat Penuche

Friends,

Okay...my beloved wife made the best treat I have ever sampled this week this side of her mother's and my mother's treats. This is taking nothing away from my mother's banana pudding, mom Sue's penuche fudge, Emily's chocolate no-bake cookies, or Alyssa's chicken fried rice (okay -- it's not a treat, but it is still great stuff). However, I have to say...penuche fudge is where it is at!! Kim made some wonderful penuche (brown sugar, sugar and cream fudge -- good stuff, all mixed together...and then put in the freezer). Fortunately, every bite was terrific; unfortunately, it is already gone :-(. I say all of this with great apologies to paw paw John who will have to wait for the next batch (which, Lord willing, will not be too far down the road...say, Christmas, perhaps :-). Anyway, here's to penuche, the greatest of all treats.

Don

2 comments:

M. SUE said...

Oh, Don, you know I hate to see a grown man cry...and when Paw-Paw John reads this...well, maybe I can arrange to be out shopping or something. "Oh, bother," (as my friend Pooh Bear would say, I am in BIG TROUBLE now. Ah, well, Wal-Mart is open 24-7 so they'll take me in and if certain Middleton Ladies and one special young gentleman were here, they'd probably be willing to go with me...
Perhaps I am just dreaming and will wake up soon...
I still love you, Don, even though you we can smell the penuche breath way over here...
I am so glad to know The Torch (along with the recipe AND the work) has been passed!
Nainie Sue

Beth Zimmerman said...

Methinks that she should make another (BIG) batch and send me a pound or two! Yep .... that's what I want for Christmas ... penuche ... made by someone else (vs. me)