Monday, November 19, 2007

Management Maxims

Friends,

The following are some principles that have been helpful over the years. I am certain that there are many more that could be added, but it's a start. I would love to say that I have "managed" them all well, but they have been beneficial --

I can't make people do what they do not want to do, but if it is a beneficial principle, I can help them to see it and own it.

My superior idea may not work as well as the inferior idea everyone likes, which is okay.

Motivation comes from within a person, not from without.

Everything looks easy to a novice.

Allow emotions to edify not denigrate.

A lot of good can be accomplished as long as nobody cares who gets the credit.

Better efficiency = better effectiveness.

Leader/follower principles:
Follow in strengths -- lead in weaknesses
Follow among leaders -- lead among followers
Follow in calm -- lead in crisis
Follow in planning -- lead in all other areas of administration
Follow in procedure -- lead in principle
Follow with people -- lead with things

God bless,

Don

No comments: