Thursday, November 29, 2007

(Not So Super) Sonics

Friends,

As a follow-up to my 4/18 post, I now offer the following: WHAT HAVE YOU BOZOS DONE TO MY FAVORITE TEAM? Well, it is pretty apparent. The new owners from OKC (and I'm still upset with the old one...and have a hard time buying certain coffee :-) "sold" off the team's two best players (Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis) and drafted some young and talented rookies (Mr Durant and Mr Green). In doing this, they have sacrificed the present (residing in Seattle) for the future (residing in OKC). Now, understand that the city of Seattle has much accountability in all of this. They have had ample time and opportunity to provide the necessary ingredients to make the Sonics work in Seattle. But, at this point, who has a burning desire to go see a 2-14 team? So, it is all going according to plan and the Sonics will likely be in OKC by next year or the year after. My "pain" comes from the fact that the Sonics are Seattle's oldest professional franchise and I used to listen to them on my transistor radio :-)...so there is some history for me personally -- I hate to see them leave Seattle. On the other hand, business is business, and having "my team" only four hours (or so) away will make it much easier to be able to go watch them if I would so desire. So, as I said earlier, it all works out (for me, at least :-), but it would be a shame to see the Sonics leave Seattle. As pure speculation, perhaps there is some long range plan for Paul Allen's professional basketball team end up in Seattle. (Certain fans from the city three hours south of Seattle surely would not want to hear this, and I hope for their sake that it would never happen, but...just wondering). So, here's hoping that the current Sonics will win at least ten games, but still get the #1 draft pick in the next lottery. Who knows? Maybe the future will be quite bright for the OKC Sonics.

Don

No comments: