Monday, January 25, 2010

Archie's Dilemma

Friends,

Well...the suspense is over. We now know that it is going to be the Saints and Colts in the upcoming Super Bowl XLIV (44 if you're like me...I prefer Greek, not Roman :-). Personally, I believe the two teams that should be there...are there. I don't think anyone expected the Cardinals to get to last year's Super Bowl, and it is hard not to want to root for the underdog (which I did). This year's version would have been the J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets...except they had the misfortune of running into the hottest QB in the NFL at this point in time -- Archie's kid. Peyton Manning seems to be on a mission, and he could very well accomplish it...most people seem to believe he will. I am thankful that the two regular season favorites will be battling it out. We could only hope for a game as close as the NFC Championship.

Yet, all of this makes me think about Peyton's dad, Archie Manning, the man who paved the way for gutsy, scrambling quarterbacks. Archie was Brett Favre and Fran Tarkenton rolled onto one. He played on perpetually awful teams in New Orleans in the late 60s and 70s. He would routinely get knocked around...like Favre did yesterday at the hands of the Saints biosterous defense. But, Archie was the Saints. He owned Louisiana...and, in many ways, he still does as perhaps the state's greatest icon and spokesman. I would like to get into Archie's head right now. I am sure that I will have the opportunity, as nearly every sports talking head is going to be talking to him over the next two weeks, wanting to know what he is thinking. Archie is in a unique position in that his son's team is playing his team. This has to be creating some sort of conflict inside of him. For the first time in their history, his team, the Saints have finally made it to the Super Bowl. They were one of five teams not ever to have played in a Super Bowl, the others being the Lions, Browns, Titans and Jaguars. So, I am sure a part of him is pulling for the Saints. But...he has to be rooting for his son. I am certain that he wants to see his son win another Super bowl. So...what are the odds, though -- 51-49% for Peyton vs Saints? 60-40? We'll probably never know. But, we do know one thing for certain -- Archie is going to be a winner. Blessings,

Don

No comments: