Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Message for (My) Mothers

Friends,

This is a special day where we are able to share thoughts and memories of mother. It is certainly an emotional day...and this is okay. We experience feelings of joy, feelings of sadness, feelings of love and admiration. It is a time which is sweet and stressful, thoughtful and wonderful.

I have had a number of Mother's Day sermons where my mom was in the audience...and this has always been a nice blessing -- and even though she is not here today, she is near, I know. We had a good visit the other day. We usually talk about regular everday things just to catch up on family life. Friday we talked and shared memories about more serious matters, which we do from time time, and this... regarding my friend and mentor Sonny. Mom always keeps me appraised of what is going on with church and community, family and friends back in Washington and it provides an avenue where we can continue to bless and encourage one another...and we are thankful for this.

Mom has always been sensetive. She is a Mom's mom, I like to day. She is in tune with feelings...and just has an understanding of my spirit. Even when we are talking on the phone -- she doesn't even have to see me -- she can tell if I am happy, sad, angry, you name it (which is pretty amazing). When I was younger that just used to annoy me so much, but as I have grown and matured (some), I now have a thoughtful and genuine appreciation of this gift. Perhaps, it is because my own girls are now in their upper teenage years and my son is nearly ten...and now I am her in so many ways.

Mom has always been a good protector. One time when I was five years old, she received a phone call at 10 PM one evening. It was from an irate mother in the neighborhood who was accusing her son (me) of beating up her teenage boy. Now, we're talking about a serious case of mistaken identity. Mom relatively calmly assured this other mother that I was 5, was in bed and therefore would not have been the one responsible (which was true...even though I may have been rough and tumble, I was Sesame Street friendly all the way). It was another teenage Middleton boy in the immediate area, whom we had no idea existed...until that evening. There was no way that this guy could be a relative! and he wasn't. Still, even as my sister and I have grown older, she has been and is always there for us.

Mom also is my wife...to our children. With all due respect to all mothers, I have not known or seen a better mother in action than my wife. She has taught me so much about life and godliness by the wise, thoughtful and loving way that she has taught and trained our children in life and spiritual concerns from her own motherly perspective -- it is impressive in so many ways. She has been a joy to grow in the Lord together with...and I thank the Lord every day for her being my wife and mother to our children.

Kim's Mom, Nainie has been my mother for 21 years now, but it seems like my whole life...and for this I am grateful. She is a wonderful, sensitive lady who dearly loves her family. We love to go and visit Nainie and Paw Paw John as often as we are able to do so, because we enjoy our time with them. We love to go out to eat Chinese food or go to Chili's...not to mention that Nainie does some wonderful treats like penuche fudge and graham cracker pie. Nainie is a great communicator and writer...and much of the reason why I am writing, even now, is because of her inspiration and encouragement to do so. We need more people in this world who are willing to share stories and blessings and connect with other people. Nainie does this better than anyone I know. Thanks for being our mother and grandmother.

I would be remiss if I didn't say something about my mom's mother -- my grandmother. She was and is very dear to me in so many ways. Even though she has not been with us for 23 years now, I have so many fond and wonderful memories of my times with her, visiting her home and enjoying the best roast beef and mashed potatoes and gravy the world had ever seen before or since. Grandma always had candy for us and my sister and I always appreciated it...and so did the dentist. She just loved us and spoiled us (in a responsible kind of way), which seems like an oxymoron, but she was thoughtful about her time, her care and her gifts.

This is such a good day...a spring Thanksgiving. And like thanksgiving, to be thoughtful and thankful for the blessings that we have in and have received from our mothers. It is not really amazing to me that Mother's Day is usually the high watermark for church attendance. I can appreciate that family and friends come together to honor mom and spend time with her on this special day. Thanks for being here and God bless you.

Don

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Don, great thoughts on one of my favorite subjects.