Saturday, May 3, 2008

"Sons" in Daniel

Friends,

As I have been reading through Daniel in my quiet time, I found these two expressions quite interesting. I have heard some discussion over the years concerning who is the "son of the gods" walking around in the fiery furnace with Daniel's three friends, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego (Daniel 3:25)? Some have surmised that this would have to be Jesus, since it would be a fitting description. Personally, I have a struggle with the fact of a pre-incarnate Jesus being among us in a discernable earthly form. It just doesn't fit with my theology, although I would never be dogmatic about it (although we can explore this concept at a latter time). Yet, later in chapter 3 (v.28), the explanation is offered by Nebuchadnezzar that the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego sent His angel to deliver these men...something to think about. In 7:13, Daniel is involved in a vision where "One like a Son of Man was coming." Now, I do believe that this is a reference to Jesus coming in order to set up His kingdom...and that the kingdoms of the earth would not be able to stand up against it, which is evidenced in the latter chapters of Daniel. In fact, the expression "Son of Man," which Jesus even uses concerning Himself in the gospel accounts is referring to the fact that He was going to come, in the spirit of David to be the spiritual fulfillment of what his kingdom represented on the earth...only this time, it would be in order to set up the heavenly kingdom. For many years, I have undestood "kingdom" to be a threefold concept -- first, in the person of Jesus Himself (He is the King), second in the establishment of the church, and finally when all will ultimately be fulfilled in the eternal kingdom. I find it ironic that one who would be called a "son of the gods" would, in my opinion, be (in all likelihood) a prominent angel, and that "Son of Man" would be in reference to Jesus...God bless,

Don

No comments: