Thursday, May 8, 2008

Stars, Spurs and Other Sports Stuff

Friends,

Now that the Mavs and Rockets have done their usual playoff swoon (unfortunately), the Spurs are still alive (as usual)...but barely. I mentioned to some friends at the beginning of their playoff series with the Hornets that the Spurs could very well get stung. New Orleans seems to be on a mission (2-0 lead in the series as of this writing)...does anyone remember the NFL Giants a few months ago? I am not writing off the Spurs -- how could you? They have been about as close of a thing to a dynasty that the NBA has had this decade. And besides, everything I have picked or touched this year has turned to stone, so I am not making any bold predictions -- go Lakers! Seriously, the Lakers have the look of Champeen, in my humble opinion. Even though I have always been something of a Celts fan, I just don't believe in THIS team from Boston. They had a great regular season, but barely beat the Hawks...and they struggled with the Pistons the first time they faced them last Fall...and I believe they will struggle against them again should they meet in the EC Finals, which they should.

Now to the Stars. (Am I actually talking about hockey? Yawn :-0). It is amazing to me how ridiculous that hockey is...I went to the fights and a hockey game broke out -- and yet still be so close to soccer, the sport of kings and nations. (Although, I am sure there are plenty out there that would say soccer is pathetic). Hockey and soccer are similar enough that most of the indoor soccer leagues I have known play in hockey rinks. Not too many folks expected the Stars to be in the semi-finals...after all, the Sharks were supposed to swallow them in one gulp. Yet, here there are...but, they are going to need another miracle to beat the heavily favored Red Wing Dings from Dingtroit. You never know...it could happen, but I am not picking them, which means they have a good chance!

Micah Owings of Arizona could be Babe Ruth Jr. if given the chance. I blogged about him last year (see Big Man Pitcher post, 8/18/07) when he was amazing me and every one else. Remember, this guy is a pitcher...and he has the highest batting average and one of the highest slugging percentages on the D-Backs team. He's only hitting about .450. Play the guy in the outfield or at first every day, fer crying out loud. He is one of a kind...give him the shot to be something extra-special. Oh, and did I mention that he is 4-1 as a pitcher? The D-backs have to be the team to beat in the NL, although the Cubs and Cards are going to be tough. But, when you have Bullet Bob Melvin as your manager extraordinaire and a rotation with Owings, Brandon Webb, Dan Haren and my favorite pitcher of all-time, the Big Unit, Randy Johnson going for you, you could nearly bat our softball team lineup and do okay (well, probably not, but it was fun to consider it for a moment). So, here's to baseball, hotdogs apple pie and Ford...God bless,

Don

No comments: