Thursday, December 18, 2008

Asteroids

Friends,

For the umpteenth time, there was an article in the news about an asteroid that might, I repeat might, make contact with the Earth in the 2030s. Now...I don't want to rain on the parade of all of those asteroid watchers out there, especially since I am an astronomy buff myself -- but I will take the 44, 000 or whatever to 1 odds and bet that we will not get tagged by an asteroid. I would be willing to bet that the odds are better than we are invaded by aliens and are all taken into captivity...uhh, maybe that's not so funny coming from a guy in Stephenville, the nouveau alien capital.

Anyway, this asteroid stuff doesn't fly (pun intended) with the big picture plan of how this big blue rock is going to meet its Maker. According to Peter (2 Peter 3:10), this old earth (or new, depending on how you look at it) is going to be incinerated...so, I will put my money on a supernova of some sort, considering it strictly in astronomical terms that the Lord could easily work with. It wouldn't take much tinkering with the chemical formula of the sun in order to create such an event. I think that the God who could pierce the firmament and bring waters from the deep in order to create the flood is quite capable of an event that could take out our solar system out to the asteroid belt...no problem ;-).

So...speaking of asteroids (and coming full circle), I think that the above explanation is more plausible than the asteroid theory. Besides, if we haven't figured out some sort of supersonic, laser or nuclear asteroid deflector or disruptor by 2030, then what good are we anyway? If we could just get the guys who created one of the greatest video games of all time to work on it, I am certain that a resolution to the asteroid problem would come quickly -- like...just equip the new version of the space shuttle (whatever it is going to end up being) with some blaster on its nose and voila! Pleasant dreams. Blessings,

Don

P.S. I hear that you will be able to purchase one of the three remaining space shuttles for your very own once they are retired in a couple years...starting a $40 million or so. :-)

No comments: